Can resistance training increase my bone density?

Yes - Research shows that weight-bearing exercises increase bone density and improve bone health, reducing the risk of bone injuries (including stress fractures.) Any exercise that places a force on the bone stimulates the bone-building process and strengthens the bone.

Benefits can be achieved in 10-20 minutes of weight-bearing exercise, 2-3 days per week.

Recommended types of exercises to increase bone density and prevent bone loss are:

• Weight training
  • Plyometric exercises
  • Body weight exercises
  • Running
  • Walking

(Swimming and bicycling are not weight-bearing exercises, therefore not listed as exercises that increases bone density.)

Although evidence shows that exercise may help build and maintain bone density at any age, it is important to start this process early in life. It is also important to get adequate amounts of vitamin D and calcium in your diet.

Yes, resistance training can help increase bone density. When our muscles pull on the bones they attach to during  resistance training it actually causing stress to the bones.  As a result, the body responds to this stress by making our bones thicker and more dense along the lines where our muscles attach.  Because the increased density is specific to where the bones experience stress, it is important to incorporate different exercises into your resistance training routine, as each one will stress your muscles and as a result, your bones differently.

Continue Learning about Resistance Training

Resistance Is Far From Futile...It's the Best
Jeri Ryan, as the Seven of Nine Borg in Star Trek: Voyager, claimed resistance was futile. Turned out not to be the case. In space, and right here on ...
If I do cardio, why do I need to do resistance training to tone up?
Jeff Croswell , NASM Elite TrainerJeff Croswell , NASM Elite Trainer
Some believe that cardio will help you get that toned look that they are looking for. However cardi...
Can resistance training improve my posture?
Susan Retzlaff, NASM Elite TrainerSusan Retzlaff, NASM Elite Trainer
Yes, but you need to be in good posture (neutral spine) when you are going the resistance training. ...
How do I safely progress a resistance training program?
Mark Dickey , NASM Elite TrainerMark Dickey , NASM Elite Trainer
Before starting a resistance program, as a precaution, it is ideal to get a medical clearance from ...