Can resistance training increase my bone density?

Yes, resistance training can help increase bone density. When our muscles pull on the bones they attach to during  resistance training it actually causing stress to the bones.  As a result, the body responds to this stress by making our bones thicker and more dense along the lines where our muscles attach.  Because the increased density is specific to where the bones experience stress, it is important to incorporate different exercises into your resistance training routine, as each one will stress your muscles and as a result, your bones differently.

Yes - Research shows that weight-bearing exercises increase bone density and improve bone health, reducing the risk of bone injuries (including stress fractures.) Any exercise that places a force on the bone stimulates the bone-building process and strengthens the bone.

Benefits can be achieved in 10-20 minutes of weight-bearing exercise, 2-3 days per week.

Recommended types of exercises to increase bone density and prevent bone loss are:

• Weight training
  • Plyometric exercises
  • Body weight exercises
  • Running
  • Walking

(Swimming and bicycling are not weight-bearing exercises, therefore not listed as exercises that increases bone density.)

Although evidence shows that exercise may help build and maintain bone density at any age, it is important to start this process early in life. It is also important to get adequate amounts of vitamin D and calcium in your diet.

Continue Learning about Resistance Training

Resistance Is Far From Futile...It's the Best
Jeri Ryan, as the Seven of Nine Borg in Star Trek: Voyager, claimed resistance was futile. Turned out not to be the case. In space, and right here on ...
How does the amount of weight I lift affect my muscles?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
In general, lifting a heavier weight for 2-8 repetitions per set primarily exercises your type II mu...
Should I wait until I'm in better shape before I start resistance training?
Serena Rain , NASM Elite TrainerSerena Rain , NASM Elite Trainer
Many people think of resistance training as heavy duty weight lifting, and while it’s important not ...
At what age is it appropriate to begin resistance training?
Resistance training can, and should, be used at all levels of sports, just with a different inte...