How many days should I resistance train during the rugby season?

When any sport is in-season it is important for the participating athletes to have a performance training program in place that includes resistance training on one or two days per week. The focus for any in-season program should be to spend the majority of the time on the field practicing with the team and doing sport-specific skill work. The additional resistance training program should fit into practice and game schedules. Try to incorporate 1-2 days per week in the weight room, only spending 45-60 minutes training. One day can be spent on stabilization while the other day can be strength focused. During the stabilization day, perform exercises with lower weight and higher repetitions in more unstable, yet controllable, environments. During the strength day, perform exercises with higher weight and lower repetitions in stable environments. The program should focus on maintaining the performance gains that were made prior to the season. Also, be sure to allow ample rest between weight training and game time.

Continue Learning about Resistance Training

Resistance Is Far From Futile...It's the Best
Jeri Ryan, as the Seven of Nine Borg in Star Trek: Voyager, claimed resistance was futile. Turned out not to be the case. In space, and right here on ...
How can I get bigger lats?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
The lat muscle is a fan-shaped muscle that runs from the low back to the front of the arm. The w...
Should I wait until I'm in better shape before I start resistance training?
Serena Rain , NASM Elite TrainerSerena Rain , NASM Elite Trainer
Many people think of resistance training as heavy duty weight lifting, and while it’s important not ...
What is contrast training?
Contrast training refers to a type of resistance training that alternates the use of heavy and light...