What forms of resistance can I use in my exercise program?

You can use numerous forms of resistance in your exercise program to challenge your muscles. Some of the more popular types include using your own bodyweight, free-weights, machines, elastic bands and tubes, and even water. Each form of resistance has its benefits and will challenge the body in different ways. Therefore, try to incorporate a variety of different resistance types into your program to keep your muscles guessing and prevent them from getting to accustomed to the routine. As the body starts to get used to the demands placed on it, it does not have to work as hard resulting in fewer calories burned.

Continue Learning about Resistance Training

Can older people build muscle with resistance training?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Older people who do resistance training are building muscle in almost the same way younger people do...
Should I lift light weights or heavy weights to tone my muscles?
To improve muscle tone, you should use both light and heavy weights as part of your resistance train...
How does the amount of weight I lift affect my muscles?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
In general, lifting a heavier weight for 2-8 repetitions per set primarily exercises your type II mu...
What should I do if I feel pain when I do a resistance training exercise?
Jara Soost , NASM Elite TrainerJara Soost , NASM Elite Trainer
Many people believe in "No pain, No gain!" rule of thumb, especially when it comes to resistance tra...