How much resistance exercise should I do if I have a sedentary lifestyle?

Resistance exercise is important to minimize the effects of a sedentary lifestyle.
  • Adults should train each major muscle group two or three days each week using a variety of exercises and equipment.
  • Very light or light intensity is best for older persons or previously sedentary adults starting exercise.
  • Two to four sets of each exercise will help adults improve strength and power.
  • For each exercise, 8-12 repetitions improve strength and power, 10-15 repetitions improve strength in middle-age and older persons starting exercise, and 15-20 repetitions improve muscular endurance.
  • Adults should wait at least 48 hours between resistance training sessions.

Continue Learning about Resistance Training

Resistance Is Far From Futile...It's the Best
Jeri Ryan, as the Seven of Nine Borg in Star Trek: Voyager, claimed resistance was futile. Turned out not to be the case. In space, and right here on ...
What are the benefits of suspension training?
One of the biggest benefits of suspension training is increased core stability and strength. Regardl...
Will resistance training help me burn fat?
Jennifer Meru , NASM Elite TrainerJennifer Meru , NASM Elite Trainer
Yes. As you use resistance training as part of your regular routine, you will build muscle. Muscle r...
What is the tempo that I should be performing my weight training?
Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, you will perform tempos from slow, to moderate, to e...