How does resistance training build muscle?

The body responds to the demands placed upon it. When resistance training the muscle is being asked to do something it is not accustomed to performing. Therefore the muscle must adapt. The first adaptations that take place are neurological. Neurological adaptations which occur are increased motor unit recruitment and increasing motor unit frequency. In the muscle, cellular adaptations occur, which allow the muscle to produce more energy and subsequently more force.

Continue Learning about Resistance Training

Will suspension training make me leaner and stronger?
Yes. Suspension training may make you stronger and leaner. Because suspension training uses your bod...
Can I resistance train every day, or should I take days off?
While you can resistance train everyday, for most people it may offer no additional benefits toward ...
If I do cardio, why do I need to do resistance training to tone up?
Donna Verive , NASM Elite TrainerDonna Verive , NASM Elite Trainer
Oh YES! Cardio helps to create a calorie deficit, and while that is a fantastic effect, doing cardio...
Should I wait until I'm in better shape before I start resistance training?
Serena Rain , NASM Elite TrainerSerena Rain , NASM Elite Trainer
Many people think of resistance training as heavy duty weight lifting, and while it’s important not ...