How can I begin a weight training program?

If you are new to weight-training or new to exercise as a whole then you need to be sure start simple and start smart.  Prior to any form of exercise you should feel comfortable what you are doing.  If you are unsure of how to perform proper form with exercise then it would be best to seek guidance of a certified professional.  No one enjoys being discouraged and if you are doing exercises incorrectly then you may be discouraged if you are not seeing results and the possibly for injury is much higher.  A great way to start a program, if not seeking professional advice, would be to take advantage of strength training equipment in your fitness center.  This equipment will assist in aligning your body properly and should help to avoid injury.  Start there and then when you get comfortable, more onto cable machines and free weights!

Continue Learning about Resistance Training

Can I resistance train every day, or should I take days off?
While you can resistance train everyday, for most people it may offer no additional benefits toward ...
What is a multiple-set resistance training routine?
A multiple-set resistance training routine is characterized by performing more than one set of an ex...
What is contrast training?
Contrast training refers to a type of resistance training that alternates the use of heavy and light...
If I do cardio, why do I need to do resistance training to tone up?
Donna Verive , NASM Elite TrainerDonna Verive , NASM Elite Trainer
Oh YES! Cardio helps to create a calorie deficit, and while that is a fantastic effect, doing cardio...