How should I breathe when performing my resistance training exercises?

Breathing is key, and can actually help you to lift more when done effectively. Inhaling on the preparation of the movement, exhaling upon execution and then inhaling as you return to the start.  For example, in a barbell bicep curl; inhale, exhale as your biceps exert force to lift the barbell, inhale as you slowly lower the bar to the starting position. It's ideal to exhale during the concentric phase os a muscular contraction, as it will help you through the execution. 
Breathing in exercise is very important.  Rule of thumb on breathing is when you are contracting the muscle say curling up on a bicep curl you breathe out and breathe in when you come down.  Just the big thing is not to hold your breath during your exercises.
Generally, when performing resistance training exercises you should exhale when you are exerting the most effort, for example like when you are coming out of the bottom portion of a squat. This is not always the case however, especially if you are performing exercise repetitions at a slower speed or tempo that would require you to take more than one breath per repetition. If that is the case, and you are exercising at slower speeds or tempos, do not worry about when you are inhaling and when you are exhaling, the most important thing is that you just breathe normally.

Continue Learning about Resistance Training

Resistance Is Far From Futile...It's the Best
Jeri Ryan, as the Seven of Nine Borg in Star Trek: Voyager, claimed resistance was futile. Turned out not to be the case. In space, and right here on ...
What is daily undulating periodization?
Daily undulating periodization refers to using different loads, reps, and sets in a resistance train...
Is bodyweight training an effective form of resistance training?
Phil Holbrook , NASM Elite TrainerPhil Holbrook , NASM Elite Trainer
Body weight training is an effective form of resistance training when executed properly. The proper ...
Can I resistance train every day, or should I take days off?
While you can resistance train everyday, for most people it may offer no additional benefits toward ...