Is it better to use free weights or machines for resistance training?

When it comes to resistance training, free weights and machines both have their respective benefits.  For beginners to resistance training, machines might be beneficial to use because they allow the exerciser to have more control over their movements and maintain better posture and form.  However, free weights allow more freedom of movement while performing exercises and require increased stability on the part of the exerciser, which has been shown to be more beneficial for gains in strength and muscle size. 

Continue Learning about Resistance Training

Is bodyweight training an effective form of resistance training?
Wendy Batts Wendy Batts
Yes! Bodyweight training is a great form of resistance training. When we normally think of resistanc...
Will suspension training make me leaner and stronger?
Yes. Suspension training may make you stronger and leaner. Because suspension training uses your bod...
Can I resistance train every day, or should I take days off?
While you can resistance train everyday, for most people it may offer no additional benefits toward ...
At what age is it appropriate to begin resistance training?
Resistance training can, and should, be used at all levels of sports, just with a different inte...