Should my doctor and I discuss my residual schizophrenia symptoms?

People with all types of schizophrenia, including residual schizophrenia, may either not recognize that they need medical assistance or may be reluctant to get it. For people with residual schizophrenia, motivation may be a problem; some symptoms of residual schizophrenia include losing interest in daily life and isolating oneself. Family and friends of people with residual schizophrenia can help by encouraging the person to get medical attention, accompanying the person to medical appointments and answering relevant questions, and calling emergency services if necessary. For example, if someone with residual schizophrenia begins a more acute period of their illness and experiences suicidal thoughts or becomes violent, family and friends should contact emergency services.

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
You should definitely discuss any symptoms of residual schizophrenia with your doctor. If you shift between catatonic symptoms one day and paranoid symptoms the next, you might have residual schizophrenia. Talk to your doctor about any long-term changes in your behavior that may be signs of residual schizophrenia. Effective treatment options are available.

Continue Learning about Residual Schizophrenia

What is residual schizophrenia?
Residual schizophrenia is one of several types of schizophrenia. Schizophrenia has different kinds o...
Does residual schizophrenia affect children differently than adults?
It is much less common for children to develop schizophrenia, in general, than it is for adults. Whi...
What are the symptoms of residual schizophrenia?
People with residual schizophrenia have short periods where they show positive symptoms of the condi...
What increases my risk for residual schizophrenia?
There are several risk factors associated with schizophrenia, including residual schizophrenia. Havi...