How do I care for someone with residual schizophrenia?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
You can care for someone with residual schizophrenia by showing compassion and empathy. You want the person to feel as normal as possible as she continues working, going to school, and participating in daily activities. Encourage her to seek medical treatment. Take note of changes in the person's behavior and work with her doctor to help her avoid triggers and cope with symptoms. Talk to the doctor about additional treatment options such as therapy and support groups.

People with residual schizophrenia need varying degrees of support. Because people with schizophrenia are at risk for suicide, any talk of suicide should be taken seriously, as should threats of or actual violence. In these situations, you should call emergency services. If you notice that the person has stopped taking their medication or that their symptoms are worsening, you can help the person seek medical attention. Depending on how severe the person's illness is, you may need to describe any symptoms or complications to the doctor on the person's behalf. You can also provide support by listening, learning more about schizophrenia, and helping the person stay on track with their treatment plan.

Continue Learning about Residual Schizophrenia

How do other illnesses affect residual schizophrenia?
Other illnesses or conditions that affect the brain, such as depression, anxiety, or drug addiction ...
Does residual schizophrenia affect children differently than adults?
It is much less common for children to develop schizophrenia, in general, than it is for adults. Whi...
Should my doctor and I discuss my residual schizophrenia symptoms?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
You should definitely discuss any symptoms of residual schizophrenia with your doctor. If you sh...
What causes residual schizophrenia?
If you already have one of the other forms of schizophrenia -- paranoid, undifferentiated, or ca...