Can residual schizophrenia be prevented?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

There is no way to prevent residual schizophrenia. However, people with residual schizophrenia can maintain better functioning through continuing to take their prescribed medication, receiving support from family, friends, and the wider community, going to therapy and life skill sessions, and going to regular medical appointments. Medication, therapy, and support all aim to prevent acute episodes of schizophrenia, which are the times when the person experiences the most symptoms and has the greatest difficulty functioning.

Continue Learning about Residual Schizophrenia

What are the symptoms of residual schizophrenia?
People with residual schizophrenia have short periods where they show positive symptoms of the condi...
Does residual schizophrenia affect children differently than adults?
It is much less common for children to develop schizophrenia, in general, than it is for adults. Whi...
Should my doctor and I discuss my residual schizophrenia symptoms?
People with all types of schizophrenia, including residual schizophrenia, may either not recognize t...
What is residual schizophrenia?
Residual schizophrenia is one of several types of schizophrenia. Schizophrenia has different kinds o...