What is metabolic surgery?

Metabolic surgery is developed from bariatric surgery. Patients who originally had bariatric procedures, just for the treatment of obesity, also had many metabolic problems. Over time, in follow-up with bariatric patients, doctors saw that the patients' diabetes and high blood pressure improved, lipid levels normalized and patients lost weight and overall did much better. So the focus turned to seeing if bariatric surgical procedures were beneficial for patients with medical problems associated with metabolic syndrome as opposed to obesity alone. Study after study has consequently shown that there is a significant beneficial link between bariatric procedures and metabolic problems. So when experts refer to metabolic surgery, it is the application of procedures that are very similar to bariatric surgery, but for the treatment of metabolic syndrome.

Continue Learning about Research & Treatment Innovations

How long will I stay in the hospital after metabolic surgery?
Melissa B. Bagloo, MDMelissa B. Bagloo, MD
Given that metabolic surgery is performed laparoscopically,  patients are usually in the hospital fo...
How quickly can I expect results from metabolic surgery?
The speed with which you will see results depends on how long you have had the medical problems that...
What Causes Public Efforts to AId In Treatment Research?
Why is It Important to Understand Genetics?