Q

Research & Treatment Innovations

How will metabolic surgery affect my diet?

• Metabolic surgery is a treatment to help with metabolic problems as well as weight loss. You should meet with a nutritionist well before the surgery so that you can learn about nutrition as a whole and learn about what to expect before and after surgery. After surgery, you should maintain a healthy diet, eating four or five times a day, just in much smaller quantities. Patients are very satisfied with post-operative satiety. The same sensation of hunger as when you diet before the surgery is not experienced, because the gut  hormones are reset. Nevertheless, patients  will need to change their lifestyle and diet after the operation so that the maximum benefit out of the procedure is attained.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
How soon can I return to work after metabolic surgery?