How will metabolic surgery affect my diet?

Metabolic surgery is a treatment to help with metabolic problems as well as weight loss. You should meet with a nutritionist well before the surgery so that you can learn about nutrition as a whole and learn about what to expect before and after surgery. After surgery, you should maintain a healthy diet, eating four or five times a day, just in much smaller quantities. Patients are very satisfied with post-operative satiety. The same sensation of hunger as when you diet before the surgery is not experienced, because the gut  hormones are reset. Nevertheless, patients  will need to change their lifestyle and diet after the operation so that the maximum benefit out of the procedure is attained.

Continue Learning about Research & Treatment Innovations

When should I consult my doctor about metabolic surgery?
Melissa B. Bagloo, MDMelissa B. Bagloo, MD
Metabolic surgery is an option to pursue if you have a body mass index (BMI) of 35 or higher and are...
How soon can I return to work after metabolic surgery?
Patients should take two to three weeks before going back to work in order to accommodate to the new...
Why is It Important to Understand Genetics?
What Causes Public Efforts to AId In Treatment Research?