Is cremation allowed in Buddhism?

Cremation is allowed in Buddhism. If a body will be cremated, monks may be present at the crematorium and lead chanting. If no monks are present, family members may lead chanting. Cremated remains may be collected by the family the following day, and may be kept by the family, enshrined in a columbarium or urn garden, or scattered at sea.

Continue Learning about Religious Beliefs

What is transcendence?
Now more than ever, we're understanding the biology behind this sense of transcendence beyond our ty...
Can I choose not to vaccinate my child on religious grounds?
As of now, 48 states allow parents to excuse their children from vaccination requirements on religio...
How is parenting an opportunity for spiritual growth?
Irwin IsaacsIrwin Isaacs
The creation of the Universe is an ongoing process.  When you become a parent you establish a partne...
What is the real purpose of prayer?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
We use prayer as an opportunity to make requests, register complaints, and express our frustration o...