When should I learn relaxation techniques?

William B. Salt II., MD
Gastroenterology
In some ways, practicing the elicitation of the relaxation response is like learning how to swim. You don't learn how to swim in a stormy ocean. Likewise, don't try to learn the relaxation response during very stressful times. I recommend learning to elicit the relaxation response under calm conditions. Later, it will help calm you under adverse conditions.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome & the Mind-Body Brain-Gut Connection: 8 Steps for Living a Healthy Life with a Functiona (The Mind-Body Connection Series)

One in five people suffer from irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, or other functional bowel disorders. As a result, irritable bowel syndrome is the second leading cause of worker absenteeism. This...

Continue Learning about Relaxation Therapy

How can relaxation therapies relieve pain?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Because pain is so elusive and difficult to measure, it lends itself well to mind/body therapies...
How can the relaxation response be achieved?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
The relaxation response can be achieved through a variety of techniques. The most popular are medita...
What Are the Benefits of Progressive Muscular Relaxation (PMR)?
2 Ways to Breathe for More Energy
2 Ways to Breathe for More Energy