What are techniques to help me relax?

Learn and practice relaxation techniques such as guided imagery, progressive muscle relaxation, and meditation. Training your body and mind to relax takes practice. But once you do it, you will be able to create the same relaxed state whenever and wherever you want. There are many ways to meditate, but they all are intended to help you relax and feel more centered in the moment in your body.

One of the easiest methods is called the Relaxation Response. To try it you should sit comfortably, close your eyes, and repeat a single word of phrase over and over in your head or aloud. As other thoughts intrude, just tell yourself that you will think about them later.

Some people meditate by concentrating on a peaceful image or sound. Think of a place you love and try to transport yourself there in your mind.

Prayer is a common form of meditation. For some people, it is the best way to clear your mind and feel soothed.

Although most people meditate while sitting or lying still, some people find it easier to combine meditation with movement such as walking, fishing, or knitting.

The idea of meditation is to try to focus in the moment, on a single phrase or image. This may take some practice. At first, you will most likely find yourself thinking about other things while you are trying to meditate. It may take practice to relax and calm your mind.

Continue Learning about Relaxation Therapy

How Is Biofeedback Used In Relaxation Training?
For a Healthy Heart, Don't Skip Your Vacation
Deep Breathe to Lower Your Blood Pressure in Just 30 Seconds
How Should I Do Progressive Muscle Relaxation?