How can relaxation therapies improve my well-being?

Ben Kaminsky
Dermatology
Most relaxation therapies are based on the premise that the mind and body are interconnected, and physical health and emotional well being are closely linked. Not only can certain mind/body therapies increase the brain’s morphine-like pain relievers, called endorphins and enkephalins, which are associated with a happy, positive feeling—these therapies may improve your quality of sleep, your ability to concentrate and be productive, and your personal relationships. One small study of several different relaxation modalities found a 42 percent improvement in self-reported sleep complaints after one year of practicing relaxation therapies. There are also fascinating reports that mind/body exercises when used with touch therapies (bodywork and massage) influence psychological function and the physiological benefits of these techniques extend for hours and even days.
Beyond Botox: 7 Strategies for Sexy, Ageless Skin Without Needles or Surgery

Sexy and ageless skin is possible for a woman at any age--and she doesn't have to resort to invasive treatments like Botox to get it-as long as she cares for her skin properly, says Ben Kaminsky,...

Continue Learning about Relaxation Therapy

How can I learn to relax if I’m overscheduled?
Wean yourself from work. How do you do this? By setting up boundaries and sticking to them like you ...
How can I relax my mind during the day?
Find a comfortable, quiet spot to sit for ten to fifteen minutes every day, stop all your hustling a...
Deep Breathe to Lower Your Blood Pressure in Just 30 Seconds
Use Technology to Get Organized
Use Technology to Get Organized