How may relaxation therapy help me?

If you get headaches or have arthritis or low back pain, relaxation therapy (RT) may help decrease your pain. If you have problems going to sleep or staying asleep, this therapy may help you. RT may decrease your heartbeat, how fast you breathe and how much oxygen you need. These changes may help improve your ability to exercise and decrease chest pain caused by angina pectoris. If you have ischemic heart disease, RT may help you recover from and prevent another heart attack. If you have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), RT and breathing retraining may help decrease your symptoms. These symptoms include stomach pain, growling or gurgling and bloating. This therapy may also decrease the number of doctor visits that you feel are needed.

Continue Learning about Relaxation Therapy

How can I relax before bedtime?
Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAcMaoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Let a relaxation practice piggyback on before-bed habits that are already in place. Don’t you alread...
What happens in my body when I am relaxed?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
When you achieve deep relaxation, your: Breathing becomes slow, deep, and regular Heart rate slows...
2 Ways to Breathe for More Energy
2 Ways to Breathe for More Energy
What Are the Benefits of Progressive Muscular Relaxation (PMR)?