How quickly does a relaxation technique work?

William B. Salt II., MD
Gastroenterology

Some people think that with a relaxation technique they will immediately feel relaxed. Many people who elicit the relaxation response do feel immediate relaxation, but for some it takes several months of practice before they actually feel relaxed.

Remember, whether you "feel" it or not, invoking the relaxation response predictably lowers your blood pressure, decreases your oxygen consumption, relaxes your brain waves, lowers your respiratory rate and counteracts the harmful effects of the fight-or-flight response. Eliciting the relaxation response should be like brushing your teeth; don't do it because it feels good, do it because you know it is good for you. Don't expect some mind-altering euphoria, just know that when you sit and practice the technique, the benefits to your body, mind and spirit predictably occur.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome & the Mind-Body Brain-Gut Connection: 8 Steps for Living a Healthy Life with a Functiona (The Mind-Body Connection Series)

One in five people suffer from irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, or other functional bowel disorders. As a result, irritable bowel syndrome is the second leading cause of worker absenteeism. This...

Continue Learning about Relaxation Therapy

How can I relax my mind during the day?
Find a comfortable, quiet spot to sit for ten to fifteen minutes every day, stop all your hustling a...
What happens in my body when I am relaxed?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
When you achieve deep relaxation, your: Breathing becomes slow, deep, and regular Heart rate slows...
How Should I Do Progressive Muscle Relaxation?
Use Technology to Get Organized
Use Technology to Get Organized