What is marriage?

Arianna Huffington
Health Education

After my former husband, Michael, and I returned from our honeymoon, we went to pray together at the Houston Cathedral. The Cathedral Dean, Pittman McGehee, gave a memorable sermon on “becoming married.” He talked about the illusion that we emerge from the ceremony of marriage truly married. He urged us to see marriage as a process and, especially, to be open to the negative side of intimacy, the hurt, the pain, the criticisms, the losses that bring depth to a relationship.  He cautioned us to be wary of a relationship that has no room for anger or pain that is lived on the surface of niceness behind smiling masks that block us from experiencing our own and each other's reality. He pleaded with us to be vulnerable in the face of each other, to realize that the self-protective devices behind which we barricade ourselves are actually self-destructive. As we lined up to greet the Dean at the close of the service, we heard others in front of us saying what was also in our hearts: “You were talking to us.”  Committing yourself to “becoming married is the only way to grow within marriage, to make of this life partnership something larger than yourself, satisfying more than your needs and emotions.  Our own marriage ended in divorce after 11 years, but we used the lessons we learned in “becoming married” to make our divorce better for ourselves and, especially, our children.

Picture of loving seniors

Continue Learning about Relationships and Family

The Write Stuff for Your Relationship
The Write Stuff for Your Relationship
The last time many of us wrote in a diary about our love lives, we were probably wearing braces or agonizing over acne. Well, blow off the dust and cr...
How can eating breakfast together help strengthen relationships?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Breakfast is the first chance for loved ones to gather each day. As difficult as it may seem, si...
7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health
7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health
Whether it’s a romantic partner, close friend, family member or a good neighbor, the benefits of a bestie are profound.
Why Should I Share Sexual Fantasies With My Partner?