What is civil marriage?

Civil marriage is a state-recognized institution that provides 1,049 federal rights and responsibilities, as well as hundreds of more state rights and responsibilities, including inheritance rights, hospital visitation rights, joint ownership and spousal support, joint tax returns, joint parenting and child support, joint insurance, joint pension and other benefits, joint decision-making, and exemption from property transfer taxes.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Relationships and Family

How to Heal From a Toxic Relationship
How to Heal From a Toxic Relationship
Toxic relationships mean different things to different people. But if you've experienced a relationship hardship, there is going to be a healing proce...
How can I stay connected to loved ones?
Henry S. Lodge, MDHenry S. Lodge, MD
We are wired for real contact, for vision and touch and movement, and we are wired to be working tog...
Is Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is Complicated
Is Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is ComplicatedIs Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is ComplicatedIs Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is ComplicatedIs Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is Complicated
Tying the knot can have its health benefits—but it depends on the quality of your relationship.
How Can I Fit Sex Into My Busy Life?
How Can I Fit Sex Into My Busy Life?