Why is it unhealthy to be in a miserable marriage?

Dr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyD
Marriage & Family Therapy
Which is better, being alone and lonely or being in a miserable marriage? The answer is both can be very bad for your health. Just being married is no guarantee for a long healthy life. If the marriage is stressful, unsafe, insecure, or contemptuous, you both are going to look older than your real age, become prone to various illnesses both mental and physical, and will likely have few resources available to spend on other things such as your children, your work, and your other relationships. However, a secure, functioning marriage, one that is fully collaborative, mutually supportive, and based on fairness, justice, and mutual sensitivity, will have the opposite effect. You will both look younger, be healthier, be nicer to everyone else, and have resources to spare for every other aspect of life.

Most of us have heard that married people are healthier than their single counterparts. But new research shows that the state of your union matters more than just being married.

One recent study found that couples living in a miserable marriage are 25 times more likely to suffer a major depression than those in a happy marriage. And if you have suffered a heart attack, a bad marriage could increase your risk for a second attack. It can also cripple your recovery from cancer and weaken your immune system. Even a single bad argument can raise your blood pressure sharply, putting your health on the line.

Continue Learning about Relationships and Family

Healing from Heartbreak
Healing from Heartbreak
When Gary (Vince Vaughn) and Brooke (Jennifer Aniston) watched their live-in relationship decay in The Breakup, they got it half right: Each one spent...
How can I make sure I'm not isolating myself because of my disorder?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
Here are some tips you can use to avoid isolation: Seek expert medical care so your symptoms can...
10 Things Happy Couples Do
10 Things Happy Couples Do10 Things Happy Couples Do10 Things Happy Couples Do10 Things Happy Couples Do
Fireworks are great, but that's not what keeps love strong for years.
How Have Social Networks Impacted Your Health?