How can I stay connected to loved ones?

Henry S. Lodge, MD
We are wired for real contact, for vision and touch and movement, and we are wired to be working together. Telephone contact helps, but it’s not enough. To be doing things together and to be relevant to the tribe: foraging, hunting, taking care of our young, gossiping, playing, making clothes and tools. We need connections in real time. If you make this a job -- by building new bridges, taking on new challenges, new involvements, making new friends and building new communities -- you can stay connected virtually forever. You can do this at any age, but it’s easier if you start early.
Younger Next Year for Women: Live Strong, Fit, and Sexy - Until You're 80 and Beyond

Co-written by one of the country's most prominent internists, Dr. Henry "Harry" Lodge, and his star patient, the 73-year-old Chris Crowley, Younger Next Year for Women is a book of hope, a guide to...

Make every effort to talk -- really talk -- to people you care about. If they're far away, stay in touch through e-mail, phone calls, video chat and, when you can, face-to-face visits; you'll all benefit by connecting. Get physical, too; hugs stimulate oxytocin, the "cuddle hormone," spreading a feel-good boost. Lovemaking does, too, in steady relationships (those couples report the highest happiness levels). Plus, connecting with others may keep you healthier by providing a coping mechanism for stress.

Take the RealAge Test!

Continue Learning about Relationships and Family

How to Heal From a Toxic Relationship
How to Heal From a Toxic Relationship
Toxic relationships mean different things to different people. But if you've experienced a relationship hardship, there is going to be a healing proce...
How can I assess my relationships?
Dr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyDDr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyD
To assess whether your relationship is set for the long-term, ask yourself the following questions: ...
7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health
7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health
Whether it’s a romantic partner, close friend, family member or a good neighbor, the benefits of a bestie are profound.
How Can I Have a Sexy Date With My Partner?