How should I initiate a first kiss?

Emily Nagoski
Emily Nagoski on behalf of Good In Bed
The first kiss is easiest after it’s reasonably clear that you both fancy each other. You can’t know for sure, you can only get a general sense.

Timing is important. A first kiss is a good punctuation mark at the end of a date, at a transition point in the date -- even at the start.

Asking first is a good idea, because it gives the person an opportunity to decline gently and doesn’t build unnecessary “you kissed me when I wasn’t into it” weirdness. For example, if you’re walking down the sidewalk, don’t stop and face the person and create a moment where if they say no you have to turn away and start walking again. Just, as you’re walking, gently mention that you think kissing might be a good idea and you were interested to hear their thoughts on the subject.

Is this cowardly? Well yes, in a way. But it spares not just you but the other person the awkwardness of a failed kiss attempt. It’s generous and considerate of you, as well as being craven.

Continue Learning about Relationships and Family

How Can Men Deal With Erectile Dysfunction?
Does Size Matter?
Does Size Matter?
What Is the Most Important Tip for a Good Sex Life?
How Long Have Social Networks Impacted Our Health?