How do people react when a loved one is terminally ill?

Often, people feel anticipatory grief when they know someone they care about is seriously ill. Just as with grief after a death, family and friends may feel a multitude of different emotions, including sorrow, anxiety, anger, acceptance, depression, and denial, as they adjust to the new landscape of their lives. Depending on the type of illness and the relationship you share, you may feel closer and determined to make the time you have left count. Perhaps you are terribly anxious about what's to come or so firmly focused on last-resort treatments that you continue to push away any thoughts of the end. Possibly you long for release or feel guilty and conflicted. Although not everyone experiences anticipatory grief, all of these feelings are normal for those who do.

Continue Learning about Relationships and Family

Dial In Romance, Turn Off the Phone
Dial In Romance, Turn Off the Phone
The MLB's rules of player conduct state no use of mobile phones, laptops, or texting in the clubhouse within an hour of game time and on the bench or ...
How can tough times increase the depth of my relationship with my partner?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
The depth in a relationship comes from sticking it out through the tough times. It is in these momen...
Is Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is Complicated
Is Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is ComplicatedIs Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is ComplicatedIs Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is ComplicatedIs Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is Complicated
Tying the knot can have its health benefits—but it depends on the quality of your relationship.
What Secret Can Improve My Sex Life?
What Secret Can Improve My Sex Life?