How does life change once kids have moved on with their lives?

Life after kids depends on our age, our marital status, the status of our work and relationships, and the health of our parents. We may choose to shift focus to other parts of our lives such as starting a new career, going back to school, or taking up new hobbies. It can feel like a power surge. "It's finally time for me." "What do I want?" "How can I make it happen?"

Mothers whose children are ready to leave home may feel a sense of loss and loosening of family bonds as they face the "empti ness." Sometimes, life after kids becomes life with kids once again. If children "boomerang" in their twenties and thirties and move back home to live because of a job loss, divorce, or any other change in circumstances, our family dynamics change. This is particularly true when our children bring children of their own with them.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH," A TRUSTWORTHY, UP-TO-DATE GUIDE TO HELP EVERY WOMAN NAVIGATE THE MENOPAUSE TRANSITION For decades, millions of women have relied on Our...

Continue Learning about Relationships and Family

The Game That Keeps You Young
The Game That Keeps You Young
Sure, you could win a jackpot playing bingo, but the bigger prize may be what it does for your health. Research shows that social games may help keep ...
How can I make sure my family has happy holidays?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Holidays are occasions that instill optimism in a family. No matter what happens in a family during ...
7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health
7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health
Whether it’s a romantic partner, close friend, family member or a good neighbor, the benefits of a bestie are profound.
How Friends Influence Your Health
How Friends Influence Your Health