How does life change once kids have moved on with their lives?

Life after kids depends on our age, our marital status, the status of our work and relationships, and the health of our parents. We may choose to shift focus to other parts of our lives such as starting a new career, going back to school, or taking up new hobbies. It can feel like a power surge. "It's finally time for me." "What do I want?" "How can I make it happen?"

Mothers whose children are ready to leave home may feel a sense of loss and loosening of family bonds as they face the "empti ness." Sometimes, life after kids becomes life with kids once again. If children "boomerang" in their twenties and thirties and move back home to live because of a job loss, divorce, or any other change in circumstances, our family dynamics change. This is particularly true when our children bring children of their own with them.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH," A TRUSTWORTHY, UP-TO-DATE GUIDE TO HELP EVERY WOMAN NAVIGATE THE MENOPAUSE TRANSITION For decades, millions of women have relied on Our...

Continue Learning about Relationships and Family

7 Ways Mothers Make the World a Healthier Place
The bond between mothers and their children can be powerful. In the hours, weeks and months after birth, many babies begin to view their mom not just ...
What is the outlook of women on marriage?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
The institution of marriage has a long history of men oppressing women, by denying them the rights t...
10 Things Happy Couples Do
10 Things Happy Couples Do10 Things Happy Couples Do10 Things Happy Couples Do10 Things Happy Couples Do
Fireworks are great, but that's not what keeps love strong for years.
Discussing Weight Loss With Family and Friends