How do I learn from other people's experiences?

Kelly Traver

We learn from gathering information and from personal experience, we also learn from other people's experiences. Simply hearing a story about something that has happened to another person can set off brain activity that actually mirrors what we would feel if we were having that experience ourselves. The neurons that fire in this process are called mirror neurons, and they are responsible for our feelings of empathy.

The process of behavior change does not need to be a lone venture. We are all on the journey, working to stay healthy in a world that has become more and more challenging. Take advantage of your social brain. You can learn a lot from other people, and they can learn a lot from you.

Continue Learning about Relationships and Family

Why You Should Take a Facebook Break
Why You Should Take a Facebook Break
In the movie The Social Network, a fictional depiction of the founding of Facebook, tech entrepreneur Sean Parker, played by Justin Timberlake, remark...
What is the definition of a good relationship?
Dr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyDDr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyD
A good relationship is one that is mutually dependent or interdependent. A good reason to depend on ...
7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health
7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health
Whether it’s a romantic partner, close friend, family member or a good neighbor, the benefits of a bestie are profound.
How Can I Talk to My Partner About Sex?
How Can I Talk to My Partner About Sex?