How do I communicate honestly with my relationship partner?

Dr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyD
Marriage & Family Therapy Specialist

To communicate honestly with your relationship partner, both of you have to agree to be fully transparent with each other. Communicating honestly with your relationship partner is simple. But for many people, deception is easier. Omission, hiding, avoiding, deflecting, are all signs of deception. It’s okay in the beginning of a relationship to be guarded and to hold back. But if you’re going to be in a secure functioning relationship where the two of you are yourselves and fully honest with each other, honest communication is then essential and is not optional. 

Lisa Oz
Health Education Specialist
Honest communication is essential for any good relationship. Stress on the word honest. This is really two things that when done well fit together seamlessly. The first is effectively articulating your own needs. You may think this is easy, but to express what you really desire, you first need to be aware of it. This involves taking a moment to ask yourself what is behind the request. What is it that you are really looking for? The second part of communicating involves consciously listening to what the other person is telling you.

Continue Learning about Relationships and Family

The Unexpected Ways Your Partner Influences Your Health
Have you ever felt the relief of finally getting your diet back on track, only to have your partner bring home a large, cheesy pizza for dinner? The ...
How can I create an optimistic environment at home?
Karyn HallKaryn Hall
Life is so busy and there is almost always more to do than we can manage. We're overwhelmed by infor...
10 Things Happy Couples Do
10 Things Happy Couples Do10 Things Happy Couples Do10 Things Happy Couples Do10 Things Happy Couples Do
Fireworks are great, but that's not what keeps love strong for years.
The Health Benefits of Being Single
The Health Benefits of Being Single