How do I distinguish between my true desire and what my ego craves?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

Well, they feel different. What your true self wants is clear and specific, generally unwavering and long term. When your ego - driven false self starts to whine, it's usually for something that just showed up - in an M&M advertisement for example - and you need to have it right away. If you don't acquire it immediately, you get an angry sort of desperate feeling. There is no pressure from the true desire, but if you thwart the demands of the ego, watch out, you've got a death match. Plus the appetite of the ego is insatiable. It wants the M&Ms and the late - night television show, the pack of cigarettes, the bottle of gin, and anything else that strikes its fancy. You start with a few candy - coated chocolates, and you end up passed out on the floor in a pile of ashes with an exercise infomercial droning in the background. Okay, this might be exaggerating, but there is some truth to this. How you are in anything is how you are in everything.

Continue Learning about Relationships and Family

Best Friends Boost Your Health
Best Friends Boost Your Health
Gratitude: An Easy Way to Boost Your Relationship
How Can I Boost My Libido?
How Can I Boost My Libido?
Why Should I Schedule Sex?
Why Should I Schedule Sex?