How do I distinguish between my true desire and what my ego craves?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

Well, they feel different. What your true self wants is clear and specific, generally unwavering and long term. When your ego - driven false self starts to whine, it's usually for something that just showed up - in an M&M advertisement for example - and you need to have it right away. If you don't acquire it immediately, you get an angry sort of desperate feeling. There is no pressure from the true desire, but if you thwart the demands of the ego, watch out, you've got a death match. Plus the appetite of the ego is insatiable. It wants the M&Ms and the late - night television show, the pack of cigarettes, the bottle of gin, and anything else that strikes its fancy. You start with a few candy - coated chocolates, and you end up passed out on the floor in a pile of ashes with an exercise infomercial droning in the background. Okay, this might be exaggerating, but there is some truth to this. How you are in anything is how you are in everything.

Continue Learning about Relationships and Family

Double Dating May Be Good for Your Relationship
Long-term relationships sometimes need a little retooling to keep things interesting. If you think your romance deserves a much-needed spark, one stud...
What are the pros and cons of being single?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Whether as a temporary interlude or as a life choice, being single can be a rich and satisfying expe...
Is Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is Complicated
Is Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is ComplicatedIs Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is ComplicatedIs Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is ComplicatedIs Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is Complicated
Tying the knot can have its health benefits—but it depends on the quality of your relationship.
In This Early Stage of Online Medical Records, Is the Data Scattered?