Why do we fall for people who are bad for us?

Emily Nagoski
Emily Nagoski on behalf of Good In Bed
Not everyone falls for people who are bad for them. And those of us who do can learn to fall for people who are good for us.

Early in our relationship lives, we fall for people who replicate our family of origin. We fall for folks who obey the rules of attachment we learned before we were, say, four years old.

For some people, that’s okay. But if you had a difficult upbringing, you’re going to recapitulate that dynamic you change. Sometimes change happens spontaneously, but mostly it’s deliberate and it’s effortful.

And by effortful, I mean you have dig through layers of hardened earth, uproot your own psychology, and replant it somewhere less toxic.

Continue Learning about Relationship Challenges

How to Talk Politics With Your Partner When You Don’t Agree
Even if you voted third party or skipped the polling booths altogether during the 2016 election, politics have probably impacted your relationships th...
What should I do if my partner wants sex more often than I do?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
When one person in a relationship wants sex more than the other, both may struggle with feelings of ...
Can relationships affect mental health?
Brenda K. Wade, PhDBrenda K. Wade, PhD
Absolutely. Imagine you and your partner are sitting down for dinner, and you notice that your honey...
How Friends Influence Your Health
How Friends Influence Your Health