Why do we fall for people who are bad for us?

Emily Nagoski
Emily Nagoski on behalf of Good In Bed
Not everyone falls for people who are bad for them. And those of us who do can learn to fall for people who are good for us.

Early in our relationship lives, we fall for people who replicate our family of origin. We fall for folks who obey the rules of attachment we learned before we were, say, four years old.

For some people, that’s okay. But if you had a difficult upbringing, you’re going to recapitulate that dynamic you change. Sometimes change happens spontaneously, but mostly it’s deliberate and it’s effortful.

And by effortful, I mean you have dig through layers of hardened earth, uproot your own psychology, and replant it somewhere less toxic.

Continue Learning about Relationship Challenges

How Your Phone Addiction Is Getting in the Way of Your Relationships
In the age of social media, email and apps, phone addiction is a real thing. When you’re getting push notifications and news alerts every second, it c...
How is the PACT approach to couple therapy different than other methods?
Dr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyDDr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyD
The PACT approach to couple therapy is different in that it looks at psychobiology over the specific...
How can I get my partner who has ADD to listen to me?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
I think it's important for your attention deficit disorder (ADD) partner to learn to pay closer ...
What's Worse, Being Cheated On Emotionally or Sexually?