Why don’t I trust my partner?

Emily Nagoski
Emily Nagoski on behalf of Good In Bed
There are essentially two reasons why you might not trust your partner.

First, your partner might be genuinely untrustworthy. In which case… why are you in that relationship?

Second, you might just be slow to trust. Maybe you got burned in a prior relationship, maybe you have an insecure attachment style, or maybe you’re just naturally cautious. All of us have our own pace for building trust and you can only allow trust to grow at the rate that’s right for you.

A way to build trust is to have occasions when your partner could potentially violate your trust but doesn’t. Small things like being where they say they’re going to be when they say they’re going to be there or remembering to do something they said they’d do are safe opportunities to allow trust to grow.

Continue Learning about Relationship Challenges

How Friends Influence Your Health
How Friends Influence Your Health
How Much Does It Cost to Care for Someone with Alzheimer's Disease?
Can Healthy Lifestyle Habits Help Prevent Alzheimer's?
Did Friends Influence Your Health BeforeSocial Media?