Why are family secrets harmful?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
Family secrets are family lies. Dishonesty is not just what one says verbally, but also what is held in silence. I have always lived by the statement "Secrets kill and the truth heals." A family secret is like a hidden ticking bomb just waiting to explode. The family constructs a life around the impending time bomb. The family secret may be the adoption of a child or the sexuality of your favorite uncle or the rape of your mother or a mental illness or addiction in a family member.

Whatever the secret, it causes separation and suffering in a family. There is an energy to a lie that each member of the family sidesteps in fear of an explosion.
Uncommon H.O.P.E.: A Powerful Guide to Creating an Extraordinary Life

Every day, the little constant stresses and anxieties leave us feeling unfulfilled, not living the best life possible. But what if the life we want to live is with in our grasp and we don't even know...

Continue Learning about Relationship Challenges

How to Talk Politics With Your Partner When You Don’t Agree
Even if you voted third party or skipped the polling booths altogether during the 2016 election, politics have probably impacted your relationships th...
What roles must I avoid playing if I have a partner with ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
If you have a partner with attention deficit disorder (ADD), below are a few predictable roles y...
Why does it seem so difficult to start dating after cancer?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
If you feel like your cancer experience has changed you, it is possible that you could feel differen...
Can Alzheimer's Research Help Us Understand Other Neurological Diseases?