Why are family secrets harmful?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
Family secrets are family lies. Dishonesty is not just what one says verbally, but also what is held in silence. I have always lived by the statement "Secrets kill and the truth heals." A family secret is like a hidden ticking bomb just waiting to explode. The family constructs a life around the impending time bomb. The family secret may be the adoption of a child or the sexuality of your favorite uncle or the rape of your mother or a mental illness or addiction in a family member.

Whatever the secret, it causes separation and suffering in a family. There is an energy to a lie that each member of the family sidesteps in fear of an explosion.
Uncommon H.O.P.E.: A Powerful Guide to Creating an Extraordinary Life

Every day, the little constant stresses and anxieties leave us feeling unfulfilled, not living the best life possible. But what if the life we want to live is with in our grasp and we don't even know...

Continue Learning about Relationship Challenges

How Your Phone Addiction Is Getting in the Way of Your Relationships
In the age of social media, email and apps, phone addiction is a real thing. When you’re getting push notifications and news alerts every second, it c...
What is the PACT approach to couple therapy?
Dr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyDDr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyD
The PACT approach to couple therapy is based on psychobiological principles vs. more traditional the...
How can my nagging affect my spouse’s health?
Nagging can snatch 8 years from your spouse’s life:Why The incessant criticism and task piling that ...
Can Both Good and Bad Health Be Socially Contagious?