When should I tell a person I'm dating I had cancer?

Many survivors find that one of the most challenging issues is deciding when and how to tell a person they are dating about being a cancer survivor. If you were dating the same person at the time of the cancer diagnosis, you will not have to explain much if he or she went through that experience with you. However, if you are beginning a new relationship, deciding on the right time to discuss your cancer experience can be complicated.

Consider different ways to approach the subject of a cancer diagnosis with people you date such as:
  • You wait to tell them because you want to get to know them better before you share something that you feel is very personal.
  • You tell them right away to get it over with and see how they react.
  • You take things on a case-by-case basis and tell people you are dating when the moment feels right.
The best way and time to tell share this personal information can be very different. In some cases, you may feel that it is better to do this earlier rather than later, especially before the relationship gets serious. Only you can decide when you are most comfortable talking about your cancer journey.

Continue Learning about Relationship Challenges

Is Your Partner Gaslighting You? Watch for These Warning Signs
It’s not uncommon to second guess yourself in a relationship, but if your partner is deliberately making you question your thoughts and actions, they ...
How can I reduce my irritation with my partner who has ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Because attention deficit disorder (ADD) partners can be electric in their energy and overbearin...
How can we reduce stress as a family?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
You can reduce stress as a family by doing the following:• Keep to routines. Sticking to a routine h...
How Can Social Media Impact My Relationship with My Partner?