When should I tell a person I'm dating I had cancer?

Many survivors find that one of the most challenging issues is deciding when and how to tell a person they are dating about being a cancer survivor. If you were dating the same person at the time of the cancer diagnosis, you will not have to explain much if he or she went through that experience with you. However, if you are beginning a new relationship, deciding on the right time to discuss your cancer experience can be complicated.

Consider different ways to approach the subject of a cancer diagnosis with people you date such as:
  • You wait to tell them because you want to get to know them better before you share something that you feel is very personal.
  • You tell them right away to get it over with and see how they react.
  • You take things on a case-by-case basis and tell people you are dating when the moment feels right.
The best way and time to tell share this personal information can be very different. In some cases, you may feel that it is better to do this earlier rather than later, especially before the relationship gets serious. Only you can decide when you are most comfortable talking about your cancer journey.

Continue Learning about Relationship Challenges

Can Both Good and Bad Health Be Socially Contagious?
Why Are Social Networks Important to Healthcare?
How Do We Manage Privacy Issues When It Comes To Sharing Health Data?
Are Parkinson's Patients More Susceptible to Alzheimer's?