How long should we stick to our "Calmer Family Challenge?"

Michele Borba
Stick your “Calmer Family Challenge” at least 21 days. Change is hard work.  Be consistent. Your kids need to know you mean business, so stick to your plan at lest 21 days. Get a monthly calendar and mark off each day you stick to the plan. You should see a gradual reduction in the yelling. If yelling continues despite your best efforts or escalates, then there is a deeper underlying problem. It’s time to seek the help of a mental health professional for your child or a therapist for you and your spouse or family. But commit to following through so you do temper those tempers and you become a calmer family.

Above all stay calm. Kids mirror our emotions and just-released research proves that our kids are picking up on our stress. They also copy our behaviors. When you raise your voice, they raise theirs. When you get tense, they get tense. The fastest way to help your kids reduce stress and help kids calm down is for you to be calm yourself.

So are you ready to take that Vow of Yellibacy??

Continue Learning about Relationship Challenges

Is Your Partner Gaslighting You? Watch for These Warning Signs
It’s not uncommon to second guess yourself in a relationship, but if your partner is deliberately making you question your thoughts and actions, they ...
Why do we fall for people who are bad for us?
Emily NagoskiEmily Nagoski
Not everyone falls for people who are bad for them. And those of us who do can learn to fall for...
How can I stay positive about my relationship with my bipolar partner?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
It is human nature for people who are suffering or overwhelmed to focus primarily on what is negativ...
How Much Progress Has Been Made In Alzheimer's Research?