How can my family learn stress warning signs to reduce yelling?

Michele Borba
Learn your stress warning signs. Stress comes before anger. Anger comes before yelling. The best way to stop yelling is to identify your own unique physiological stress signs that warn us we’re getting angry. Explain to your kids that we should tune in to them because they help us stay out of trouble. Next, help your child recognize what specific warning signs she may have that tell her she’s starting to get upset. For example: “Looks like you’re tense. Your hands are in a fist. Do you feel yourself starting to get angry?” Anger escalates very quickly: if a kid waits until he is in “Melt down” or a “screaming match” to get himself back into control, he’s too late—and so are you to try and help him. Here are a few common warning signs: Flushed checks. Pounding hearts. Louder voice. Clenched hands. Grinding teeth. Rapid breathing. Body vibrates. Drier mouth.

Continue Learning about Relationship Challenges

Why can doing fresh things with a partner add spark to a relationship?
Dr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyDDr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyD
Doing fresh things with a partner can add spark to a relationship because our brains love novelty an...
How do I ask for what I need in a relationship?
Arianna HuffingtonArianna Huffington
One of the things women find hard to do in relationships is make clear what we want. In fact, we fea...
How should a couple handle their differences?
Most couples have their differences, and the more you have, the greater the seeming threat to yo...
Besides Social Networks, Are There Other Technologies That Can Improve Health Outcomes?