How can I know why my partner no longer seems attracted to me?

Attraction ebbs and flows in every relationship. You may find that one partner is all about the other partner for weeks or months and, suddenly, the roles reverse. It can also be the case that a relationship goes well for months, sex included, then goes into neutral or hits a rough patch.  Most couples have a sense of when their relationship is in a down cycle and sex is on the back burner, as opposed to when something is wrong. If you find yourself in a sex or relationship slump that doesn’t seem to be changing, however, it’s important to take action. One red flag: If a person has lost interest in sex with a partner, but finds themselves attracted to other people.  In most cases, something is going on in the relationship that is affecting sex.  

Couples should talk about their concerns sooner than later. Spend some time alone thinking about what issue(s) might be getting in the way of sex. Talk about it with each other. If boredom is the issue, try exploring some new terrain sexually -- with books, videos, or other activities. If deeper issues exist in the relationship, consider visiting a sex therapist or couples therapist.

Continue Learning about Relationship Challenges

How should I deal with the emotional intensity of my partner who has ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
One of the great gifts of attention deficit disorder (ADD) is emotional intensity. You probably ...
What Is Alzheimer's Disease?
What Is Alzheimer's Disease?
How Can I Prevent Alzheimer's Disease?
How Can I Prevent Alzheimer's Disease?
What Are Treatments for Alzheimer's Disease?