How can I reduce yelling in my family?

Michele Borba
Begin by gathering the troops and convey your new “no yelling” expectations to all family members. Everyone must know you mean business that yelling will no longer be tolerated. Explain that while it’s okay to be angry, they may not use a yelling voice to express their feelings. If the member needs to take a time out to calm down, he may do so. Some families take a “no yelling” vow and sign a pledge, and posted as a concrete reminder.  Hint: Kids mirror our emotions. When you raise your voice, they raise theirs. When you get tense, they get tense. The fastest way to help your kids reduce anger is for you to be calm.

Continue Learning about Relationship Challenges

Is Your Partner Gaslighting You? Watch for These Warning Signs
It’s not uncommon to second guess yourself in a relationship, but if your partner is deliberately making you question your thoughts and actions, they ...
How can we use a family anger warning signal to reduce yelling?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Families can create a warning signal by making up their own “family signal” such as pulling your ear...
As a woman, how can I avoid settling for the wrong partner?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Dishonesty is the rotten core of so many relationships. Too many women settle to get a man. Women be...
How Can I Keep an Argument With My Partner From Getting Out of Control?