How can I recover from a divorce?

While divorce is never pleasant, some people manage to come out the other side in pretty good shape, while others crumble and have a terrible time, even in similar situations.

One explanation states that if you're trying to regroup from a divorce, or any difficult emotional event (and there are many in these tough times), cut yourself plenty of slack. Show yourself as much compassion as you'd show a best friend struggling through the same mess. Being kind to yourself may be the most vital thing you can do -- even more important than being optimistic or having a healthy sense of self-esteem. Here’s how:
  • Don't beat yourself up. Think, "I did the best I could in the circumstances." If something keeps gnawing at you, forgive yourself. Don't get mired in a cycle of self-recrimination.
  • Understand that it's not just you. Everyone goes through loss. Difficult experiences are part of the ups and downs of being a human.
  • Tap into life's deeper meaning. Be authentic and spiritual, in whatever way makes sense to you.
Oh, there's one other thing that will help you get through it: being a woman. Surveys show that females recover better from divorce. They even gain less weight afterward!

Continue Learning about Relationship Challenges

How Your Phone Addiction Is Getting in the Way of Your Relationships
In the age of social media, email and apps, phone addiction is a real thing. When you’re getting push notifications and news alerts every second, it c...
Why is talking before going to sleep important in a relationship?
Surprise: Fooling around is not tops on the list of the most important things happy couples do in ...
Can a relationship be happy if one partner puts in most of the effort?
Dr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyDDr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyD
A relationship can be a happy one if one partner puts in most of the effort, as long as the partner ...
What's Worse, Being Cheated On Emotionally or Sexually?