How can I manage with a difficult family relationship?

Lisa Oz
Health Education
A difficult relationship is in many ways similar to any other relationship. It still requires ongoing attempts at self-observation, compassion, and nonattachment. The greatest lesson one can learn here is that if you have a problem with someone then, to some extent, you are also part of the problem. This is a beautiful thing because the only person you can change is you.

With my in-laws, I had to change my expectations. For a long time, I had been attached to the idea that they ought to act in a particular way (which in retrospect seems pretty foolish). To some extent we all believe that other people should do what we would do in any given situation. But living with this assumption only sets us up for disappointment. When I gave up judging my in‑laws by my personal criteria of what was and wasn't acceptable and focused instead on my reaction to them, our relationship improved significantly.

Continue Learning about Relationship Challenges

Why are goals important in a relationship?
Dr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyDDr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyD
Common goals are important, just as common principles that guide a relationship are vital to the saf...
How is the PACT approach to couple therapy different than other methods?
The PACT approach to couple therapy is different in that it looks at psychobiology over the specific...
How do I decide whether to marry someone who has children?
Sheila DunnellsSheila Dunnells
Having worked with kids for years, too many of who came from blended families, the highest praise I ...
What Are Treatments for Alzheimer's Disease?