How can I learn to let go of a partner?

The fundamental life skill lacking in today's culture is the ability to let go. The following reflections will resonate with different stages in the process of letting go. Circle the statements that resonate with wherever you are now:
  • I can't let go of you.
  • I don't know how to let go of you.
  • I can't believe you are not part of my future.
  • What we shared was one of the most meaningful relationships in my life.
  • You not being in my future doesn't take away the luminous moments we shared.
  • I will still take you with me into my future through who I have become because of you.
  • I cry and let the waves of grief overcome me.
  • I wish you were part of my present and future…but you are not.
  • It's okay to keep wishing you were here with me.
  • You are part of the rich tapestry of my soul and always will be, but I must let you go your own way now. - I let you go, but I thank you for what we shared.
  • I know you are not a part of my future, but it's okay for me to wish you were as long as I need to.
  • It's okay for me to talk to you in my mind even though I have to let you go.
  • It's okay for me to feel hurt as long as I need to.
  • Maybe you rejected me because you were afraid of my love; still, I need to let you go.
  • Even though you rejected me, I can still honor the love I feel for you.
  • Letting go is hard; it's not supposed to be easy.
  • I am often torn between releasing you and making desperate plans to get you back; I don't act on the plans, but I honor my wish to be close to you.
  • I heal my emotional pain by taking good care of myself, identifying my needs, and taking care of them.
  • I allow myself to trust that there is a greater purpose in loving and leaving you.
  • I allow my heart to open by feeling this heartache.
  • I will let my heart ache as long as it wants to.
  • I don't want to lose what we had.
  • I can't let go because I don't trust something new will come.
  • I can't let go because I don't know who I am and where I am going.
  • I'm about to make that leap from here to there -- here being the life that derived some of its fullness from your presence, and there being the life in which you are a memory. I make the leap with deep sadness. I loved you.

Continue Learning about Relationship Challenges

How Your Phone Addiction Is Getting in the Way of Your Relationships
In the age of social media, email and apps, phone addiction is a real thing. When you’re getting push notifications and news alerts every second, it c...
Why is talking before going to sleep important in a relationship?
Surprise: Fooling around is not tops on the list of the most important things happy couples do in ...
How can my damaged relationship with my partner be transformed?
Dr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyDDr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyD
A damaged relationship with a partner can be transformed by learning to recognize and repair issues ...
How Much Does It Cost to Care for Someone with Alzheimer's Disease?