How can I help my child cope with divorce?

Your child may have trouble dealing with your divorce. Here are some ways you can help your child:
  • Stay involved with your child, whether or not you live close by. Make regular phone calls, write letters, or e-mail your child. Asking questions and being interested helps your child feel valued and loved.
  • Avoid fighting with your former spouse. If you think of yourselves as a parenting team instead of a couple, it may help you work calmly and in the best interests of your child.
  • Don’t make your child feel guilty for the time spent with the other spouse. It’s important that your child feels free to be close with both Mom and Dad.
  • Avoid making your child the messenger. If you have something to say to your former spouse, communicate it with him or her directly.
  • Remember the saying, “If you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” Never speak ill of your ex-spouse in front of your child or try to make your child take sides.
From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.
Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Relationship Challenges

How Your Phone Addiction Is Getting in the Way of Your Relationships
In the age of social media, email and apps, phone addiction is a real thing. When you’re getting push notifications and news alerts every second, it c...
How can I get my partner with ADD to meet my needs?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
If you have a partner with attention deficit disorder (ADD), and if you constantly fight about n...
How can I get involved in my community?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
There are so many needs in the community where you live. Just look around your community. Read the l...
How Long Have Social Networks Impacted Our Health?