How can I stop controlling others?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

Let go of the need to control others and learn to change yourself instead. For me, this is the most difficult of suggestions. I am uncomfortable with the idea of letting other people (particularly those close to me) live in a way that is even semiautonomous. However, you cannot force anyone to be anything other than who they are. The best way to change a situation is to change yourself. Do that and you change everything.

Continue Learning about Relationship Challenges

How Your Phone Addiction Is Getting in the Way of Your Relationships
In the age of social media, email and apps, phone addiction is a real thing. When you’re getting push notifications and news alerts every second, it c...
What roles must I avoid playing if I have a partner with ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
If you have a partner with attention deficit disorder (ADD), below are a few predictable roles y...
What are the most common mistakes partners make in relationships?
Dr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyDDr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyD
The most common mistake couples make is forgetting that each partner is the primary attachment figur...
Are Environmental Factors to Blame for Alzheimer's Disease?