How can I keep an argument with my partner from getting out of control?

If you find yourself in the midst of an argument, try to maintain control, and follow some rules for healthy fighting. Yes, fighting can be healthy. In fact, it can be an even bigger problem to never discuss the things you're unhappy with. So here's how you can keep an argument from getting out of control:
  • Don't let your anger simmer and boil over. Approach your partner about an issue before it becomes a major problem.
  • Don't use language that will make your partner feel attacked. This will automatically put them on the defensive. Instead, say, "I feel blank when blank," and confirm that your partner hears and understands you.
  • Take a moment to consider the root of your anger. Losing your temper over something small -- like the dirty dishes in the sink or your partner's workaholic tendencies -- may actually be indicative of a deeper issue.
  • Don't go off-topic. In the heat of the moment, you may feel tempted to throw out a laundry list of your partner's past offenses. This will only cause the fight to escalate, and it will soon become impossible to resolve the original issue.
  • Remember that you love each other. Remind yourself why you love each other. This will make the issues you're arguing about seem comparably smaller.
Sexy Ever After: Intimacy Post-Cancer

Sexy Ever After: Intimacy Post-Cancer

Recent studies show that 40-100 percent of men and women who have been treated for cancer have experienced some level of sexual dysfunction. Sexy Ever After: Intimacy Post-Cancer will help you...
Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine

Dr. Mike Dow, PsyD
    Addiction Medicine

If you and partner get caught in an argument, keep it under control with a tried-and-true technique for calming toddler tantrums. Get the how-to from addiction specialist Dr. Mike Dow by watching the video.

Continue Learning about Relationship Challenges

How Your Phone Addiction Is Getting in the Way of Your Relationships
    In the age of social media, email and apps, phone addiction is a real thing. When you’re getting push notifications and news alerts every second, it c...
    How can I learn to let go of a partner?
    Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
    The fundamental life skill lacking in today's culture is the ability to let go. The following refl...
    Why is talking before going to sleep important in a relationship?
    Surprise: Fooling around is not tops on the list of the most important things happy couples do in ...
    Are Environmental Factors to Blame for Alzheimer's Disease?