Should I expect people to change around me?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

The first thing to realize is that you cannot change anyone else. The horrible truth is that people just do not do what you want them to. Frankly, sometimes it seems like they are deliberately trying to thwart you. There are times when you may help them see things differently with direct, honest dialogue. Sometimes, it takes threats to change the scenario. However, the bottom line is that you cannot make them do anything they do not want to. The only thing you can control in any conflict is yourself, and that is on a really good day.

Continue Learning about Relationship Challenges

How can my nagging affect my spouse’s health?
Nagging can snatch 8 years from your spouse’s life:Why The incessant criticism and task piling that ...
How do I resolve conflicts?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
We all play a role in our conflicts. At some point, we need to take responsibility for that. Once we...
How can I encourage optimism in the workplace?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
You can initiate optimism at work by having an office lunch at least once a week. Either go out to a...
In what ways can a parent cause family conflict?
Erik FisherErik Fisher
In my years of experience in working with families, I find that most families with problematic confl...