What should I do if I suspect that someone is the victim of elder abuse?

If you suspect that someone is the victim of elder abuse you should report your concern to the Adult Protective Services (APS) in your state. You can find the APS reporting number for each state by visiting the State Resources section of the National Center on Elder Abuse website and the Eldercare Locator website.
Anthony Cirillo
Geriatric Medicine

Here's what you should do if you suspect someone is the victim of elder abuse:

• First, know what to look for and what the signs are: physical symptoms like bruises, withdrawn behavior and unaccounted financial changes.
  • Don't talk to the abuser. They may flee or retaliate.
  • Follow your intuition -- if you feel something is wrong, it probably is.
  • If you have evidence, report it to authorities right away.
  • If you suspect there is imminent danger, call 911 and report to the police.
  • If there is no imminent danger, contact your local welfare and social service agencies.
  • If the abuse happens at an institution like a nursing home, contact your state's long-term care ombudsman.
Who Moved My Dentures? 13 False (Teeth) Truths About Long-Term Care and Aging in America

Who Moved My Dentures dispels 13 different myths about long-term care and aging in America as told through human interest stories of people the author has met through his work as a healthcare...

Continue Learning about Relationship Abuse

Are You in an Abusive Relationship? Here’s How to Get Help
The numbers are staggering. About one in four women will experience severe intimate partner violence (IPV) over the course of her lifetime. For men? T...
Do You Know the Signs of an Abusive Relationship?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over half of the women who are murdered in the US die at the hands of an intimate p...
How can a safety plan help if I am dealing with a violent partner?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Violence against women, and to a lesser extent men, is an issue of power and control. When someone i...
What is the impact of violence against women on the perpetrators?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
On the surface, it seems that men benefit from male dominance, control, and violence. However, at a ...