What should I do if I am an adult who is being bullied?

Erik Fisher
If you have time, script out what you might want to say and/or role play an adult bullying situation with someone. Make sure the person that is role playing the bully is willing to play "the bully" to push your reactions so you can discuss it and practice it. If you don't have time to script it or are caught in a bullying situation, use these guidelines:
  1. Stay calm and don't allow yourself to be baited into the conflict. Remember, no one can take away your power unless you give it.
  2. Stay focused on your and their behaviors.
  3. Point out solutions for everyone's behaviors that can lead to a positive outcome for all.
  4. Be willing to walk away and offer the opportunity to revisit it later if they do not calm down, and/or be willing to ask them to leave if they cannot behave respectfully.
  5. Set and discuss ground rules for future interactions and remain firm in following those guidelines.

Continue Learning about Relationship Abuse

Are You in an Abusive Relationship? Here’s How to Get Help
The numbers are staggering. About one in four women will experience severe intimate partner violence (IPV) over the course of her lifetime. For men? T...
Do You Know the Signs of an Abusive Relationship?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over half of the women who are murdered in the US die at the hands of an intimate p...
What can I do if I am a victim of violence?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
If you are in a violent relationship right now, there are things you can do that may help you to be ...
What are the impacts of an abusive relationship?
Abusive relationships may be hard to end, particularly if we lack financial independence. If we are ...