What is elder neglect?

Sharine Forbes
Geriatric Medicine

Elder neglect can manifest itself in many different forms, ranging from the mental to the physical. An example of elder neglect by a caregiver is not bathing them as needed, not giving them their medication as needed etc. Neglecting an elder is punishable by law as it is considered to be a form of abuse. There is also elder self-neglect in which the individual does not properly take care of themselves. An example of elder self-neglect in not taking prescriptions as prescribed, not eating when hungry and not tending to the activities of daily living as they should. 

It is important to recognize that neglect can be both intentional and non-intentional. If you feel that someone is being neglected it is important to contact local authorities so that they can protect the elder.

Continue Learning about Relationship Abuse

Do You Know the Signs of an Abusive Relationship?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over half of the women who are murdered in the US die at the hands of an intimate p...
Are You in an Abusive Relationship? Here’s How to Get Help
The numbers are staggering. About one in four women will experience severe intimate partner violence (IPV) over the course of her lifetime. For men? T...
How can I defend myself against violence?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
The most important step in ending violence against women is to stop people from using violence to ge...
How can a safety plan help if I am dealing with a violent partner?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Violence against women, and to a lesser extent men, is an issue of power and control. When someone i...