What is abuse?

Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Geriatrics Nursing

As has been published already, abuse is misuse or maltreatment. It can be a single occurrence, a series or habitual. Abuse can be directed towards others or yourself. It can be legal or involve illegal substances or activities. It can be comparatively inconsequential or life threatening and everything in between.

Often, people are referring to substance abuse or domestic violence when they use the term abuse. Substance abuse is also covered under addictions. Domestic violence is about power and control. It refers to men who abuse their wives or girlfriends as the most frequent type of domestic violence although it also occurs between women (as the abusers) and men and in same sex couples of both genders. Domestic violence includes emotional, mental, economic, sexual and physical abuse.

Continue Learning about Relationship Abuse

How do I protect myself from intimate partner violence?
If you think you’re in danger, leave immediately. If you have time, pack a suitcase and make copies ...
What can I do if I am a victim of violence?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
If you are in a violent relationship right now, there are things you can do that may help you to be ...
How are race and class related to violence against women?
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MDDr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Violence against women may be tolerated more in some cultures than others. However batterers and vic...
Beyond Physical Scars: The Lasting Impact of Domestic Abuse
Beyond Physical Scars: The Lasting Impact of Domestic AbuseBeyond Physical Scars: The Lasting Impact of Domestic AbuseBeyond Physical Scars: The Lasting Impact of Domestic AbuseBeyond Physical Scars: The Lasting Impact of Domestic Abuse
Sexual dysfunction, low self-esteem and chronic pain are just some of the issues. Bruises and breaks heal, but domestic violence can leave other profo...