What is domestic violence?

According to the American Psychiatric Association (APA), domestic violence occurs when one person has control over another in a marriage, or dating or live-in relationship. Other definitions also include abuse of children, elderly parents or any other family member. The bottom line is that one person is being controlled and abused by another. And the fact that this is happening inside the home makes it easier to hide and harder to escape. Domestic violence affects people of all ages, races and cultures. Types of domestic abuse include sexual abuse, physical violence, threats and emotional or verbal abuse. If you are experiencing domestic violence, talk to someone you trust, such as a friend, family member or health care professional. You can also call the National Domestic Violence Hotline (1-800-799-SAFE) for help. If you are in danger, call the police.

Continue Learning about Relationship Abuse

Do You Know the Signs of an Abusive Relationship?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over half of the women who are murdered in the US die at the hands of an intimate p...
What can I say if I think my aging loved one is being financially abused?
Dr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MDDr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MD
If you think your aging loved one is being financially abused, you can say “Let’s work together. I w...
How are race and class related to violence against women?
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MDDr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Violence against women may be tolerated more in some cultures than others. However batterers and vic...
What are the medical considerations for a victim of domestic violence?
Ruth Politi, MSNRuth Politi, MSN
Domestic violence is also known as intimate partner violence (IPV). It is important for the medical ...