What is domestic violence?

According to the American Psychiatric Association (APA), domestic violence occurs when one person has control over another in a marriage, or dating or live-in relationship. Other definitions also include abuse of children, elderly parents or any other family member. The bottom line is that one person is being controlled and abused by another. And the fact that this is happening inside the home makes it easier to hide and harder to escape. Domestic violence affects people of all ages, races and cultures. Types of domestic abuse include sexual abuse, physical violence, threats and emotional or verbal abuse. If you are experiencing domestic violence, talk to someone you trust, such as a friend, family member or health care professional. You can also call the National Domestic Violence Hotline (1-800-799-SAFE) for help. If you are in danger, call the police.

Continue Learning about Relationship Abuse

Do You Know the Signs of an Abusive Relationship?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over half of the women who are murdered in the US die at the hands of an intimate p...
How can I defend myself against violence?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
The most important step in ending violence against women is to stop people from using violence to ge...
How can I recover after facing violence?
Recovery is a gradual process of healing and empowerment. Since violence causes you to feel a loss o...
How can a safety plan help if I am dealing with a violent partner?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Violence against women, and to a lesser extent men, is an issue of power and control. When someone i...