What is domestic violence?

According to the American Psychiatric Association (APA), domestic violence occurs when one person has control over another in a marriage, or dating or live-in relationship. Other definitions also include abuse of children, elderly parents or any other family member. The bottom line is that one person is being controlled and abused by another. And the fact that this is happening inside the home makes it easier to hide and harder to escape. Domestic violence affects people of all ages, races and cultures. Types of domestic abuse include sexual abuse, physical violence, threats and emotional or verbal abuse. If you are experiencing domestic violence, talk to someone you trust, such as a friend, family member or health care professional. You can also call the National Domestic Violence Hotline (1-800-799-SAFE) for help. If you are in danger, call the police.

Continue Learning about Relationship Abuse

Do You Know the Signs of an Abusive Relationship?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over half of the women who are murdered in the US die at the hands of an intimate p...
Are You in an Abusive Relationship? Here’s How to Get Help
The numbers are staggering. About one in four women will experience severe intimate partner violence (IPV) over the course of her lifetime. For men? T...
What can I do if I face abuse in my relationships?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Abusers are often very charming people until they 'have you in their clutches'. Then one day the rel...
What are some common signs of an abusive relationship?
There may not be any signs to see that would tell an outsider that a relationship was abusive. In fa...