What are some of the different types of elder abuse?

Dr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

Elder abuse is a big topic with many different types. Abuse in general usually brings to mind domestic violence, but there are many more kinds of elder abuse, including the following: 

• financial abuse
  • physical abuse
  • neglect
  • partner-on-partner (or intimate-partner) violence
  • verbal abuse

Continue Learning about Relationship Abuse

Are You in an Abusive Relationship? Here’s How to Get Help
The numbers are staggering. About one in four women will experience severe intimate partner violence (IPV) over the course of her lifetime. For men? T...
Do You Know the Signs of an Abusive Relationship?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over half of the women who are murdered in the US die at the hands of an intimate p...
What can I say if I think my aging loved one is being financially abused?
Dr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MDDr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MD
If you think your aging loved one is being financially abused, you can say “Let’s work together. I w...
What are the impacts of an abusive relationship?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Abusive relationships may be hard to end, particularly if we lack financial independence. If we are ...